Monday, 17 June 2013

Book Review - The Love of My Life by Louise Douglas.


The Love of My Life

"I miss him with every breath and heartbeat. He should have been my happy ending. Instead, he is the sad beginning to my story."


When I started to read this book my instant impression was that it wasn't going to be that great.  You know when you read the first chapter and it doesn't really do anything for you.....that!  But once I had given it a bit more time the story actually drew me in.


It tells the story of Olivia, who has recently become the widow of Luca.  I think one of the reasons my heart wasn't with it to begin with, is that it is one of those books that jumps every chapter from past to present and that usually throws me.  But after reading a few more chapters I got it! and the story develops well, one chater the past the nest the present.


Olivia and Luca grew up together in their small town, Olivia working in Luca's parent's restaurant in the summer months and their friendship develops but Luca 's mother has plans for him to marry someone else, and in the end he elopes to London with Olivia.  Olivia becomes the one at fault in the eyes of Luca's family and when Luca is tragically killed, Olivia makes the decision to return to their home town, where no one is pleased to see her.


There are parts of this story that are very predicatble, but there is also something about the way that it is written that makes you want to read on. Olivia quickly realises that she and Marc, Luca's twin share their greif and start an affair that has drastic consequences and shows certain moments of similarity between Olivia and Luca's life. Even though they both know the affair is purely based on grief, the results are heart breaking for Olivia.

Louise Douglas writes in a sensitive and beautiful way, and this is again a first class debut novel. I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment